UNM Research Focus Areas
The University of New Mexico research and scholarship landscape is vibrant, richly complex, and ever-changing. Faculty from a diverse range of disciplines tackle problems and generate knowledge to benefit New Mexico, the nation, and people around the world. This document acknowledges the University's current strengths and potential for growth. It can serve as a guide for strategic initiatives and must be revisited regularly to reflect evolution of the dynamic research environment.
Cross-Cutting Research Areas
Involving researchers from multiple departments and achieving national recognition.
- Bioinformatics and Collections-based Research
- Ecology and Climatology
- Human Evolution, Social and Behavioral Dynamics, and Addictions
- Materials Science and Optical Sciences and Engineering
Areas of Research & Scholarship Strength
Well positioned to extend across additional disciplinary units and to receive broader national recognition.
- Computational and Data Sciences
- High Energy Density Physics
- Medieval Studies
- Quantum Information Science
- Regional Resource Economics, Water, and Environment
- Southwest Anthropological Research and Socio-cultural Studies
- Latin American Studies
- Land Arts of the American West
Developing Areas of Research & Scholarship Strength
Expected to grow in depth and impact regionally and beyond.
- Community Engaged Arts, Education and Public Health
- High Performance Computing
- Neuroscience, Learning, Cognition and Memory
- Clean Energy Systems