UNM Areas of Research & Scholarship Strength
The University of New Mexico research and scholarship landscape is vibrant, richly complex, and ever-changing. Faculty from a diverse range of disciplines tackle problems and generate knowledge to benefit New Mexico, the nation, and people around the world. The following areas of research and scholarship strength can serve as a guide for strategic initiatives and may change over time to reflect the evolution of dynamic research environments.
Grand Challenges Research
Addressing problems of global, national and regional significance that require researchers to work together across disciplinary boundaries to develop and implement solutions.
- Successful Aging
- Sustainable Water Resources
- Substance Use Disorders
Involving researchers from multiple departments and achieving national recognition.
- Bioinformatics and Collections-based Research
- Ecology and Climatology
- Human Evolution, Social and Behavioral Dynamics, and Addiction
- Materials Science and Optical Sciences and Engineering
- Quantum Information Science and Technology
Well positioned to receive national recognition and extend across additional disciplinary units.
- Computational and Data Sciences
- High Energy Density Physics
- Medieval Studies
- Regional Resource Economics, Water, and Environment
- Southwest Anthropological Research and Socio-cultural Studies
- Latin American Studies
- Land Arts of the American West
Developing Areas of Research
Expected to grow in depth and impact the region and beyond.
- Community Engaged Arts, Education, and Public Health
- High Performance Computing
- Neuroscience, Learning, Cognition and Memory
- Clean Energy Systems
- Synthetic Biology